The Model Triathalon-H3 is a single-range ionization chamber tritium in-air monitor, housed in a NEMA-4X wall-mount enclosure. The unit is designed for stack or room monitoring applications. This smart instrument includes a microprocessor, color LCD touch-screen display, and custom software with on-board datalogging. The subtractive balanced chamber electrometer circuit and radon rejection decreases background to negligible levels. The software allows the user to adjust units of measurement, alarm limits, and flow rate for totalizing, among other parameters. An upgraded alarm system provides two adjustable level alarms (alert level and high level), as well as alarm indicators for low flow and low/high voltage power supply failure. Level alarms can be configured for latching or non-latching operation.
The Triathalon-H3 includes a desiccant column so that it can be configured to differentiate between HTO only, or total tritium (HTO + HT). This features is is also used in gas calibration.
The NEMA-4X/IP-66 wall-mount enclosure is designed for continuous duty. The clear polycarbonate window protects all front panel components while still allowing visual inspection. The door is hinged to allow servicing of components, and also includes a lock with key to prevent unauthorized access. External sample connections are 3/8 in. OD stainless steel Swagelok fittings. Alarm relays for the two level alarms and malfunction alarm are included.
An optional totalizer feature can be included which computes the total tritium concentration released up the stack or effluent by multiplying the stack flow rate (manual or dynamic from stack flow sensor) by the measured tritium concentration. The Triathalon-H3 is a cost-effective tritium effluent monitor that is compact, lightweight, and includes an easy wall-mount configuration.
The only maintenance required for the Triathalon-H3 is periodic service of the pump and replacement of the dust filter. The sensitivity, accuracy, and noise level of the Model Triathalon-H3 is makes it an appealing alterntative to other models.
Calibration of the Triathalon-H3 tritium monitor includes three different methods:
1. Tritium gas calibration: Injecting tritium gas into the ionization chambers to produce an accurately predictable concentration and adjusting the calibration potentiometer accordingly. We offer factory calibration services and provide tritium gas calibrators for the customer to calibrate on-site.
2. Gamma calibration using a gamma source: Using a certified gamma range or source, tritium monitors can be calibrated using the relationship: 1 mR/hr yields the same ionization current as 90 µCi/m3 of tritium.
3. Electrical equivalence method: All Overhoff ionization chamber/electrometer modules feature a BNC receptacle to which a precisely calibrated ultra-high resistor can be attached. Using Ohm’s law and knowing the volume of the ion chamber, the user can calculate the current value and expected panel meter display while adjusting the calibration potentiometer as required. Calibration resistors are available for purchase.
1 – 19,999 μCi/m3, MDA is 1 μCi/m3
0.1 – 1,999.9 MBq/m3 or 0.01 – 199.99 MBq/m3, MDA is 0.04 MBq/m3
LCD Color Touch Screen; units of measurement user settable (pCi/cc, pCi/ml, nCi/m3, μCi/m3, mCi/m3, Ci/m3, MBq/m3, kBq/L, Bq/cc, Bq/ml, MPCa, DAC)
±10 % of reading, ± L.S.D, whichever is greater Noise Level ± 1 μCi/m3, 1 sigma with alpha suppression in use
± 1 μCi/m3 long term (thirty days), ambient temperature conditions
A second ionization chamber of equal volume, mounted on the same axis, serves to cancel effects of external gamma fields
Values entered from LCD set-up to offset effects of gamma radiation and/or tritium build-up
Alpha Pulse Supression
A circuit provides recognition and cancellation of undesirable noise spikes attributed to airborne radon
Two linear electronic time constants
1. Approximately 20 seconds for signals up to ~80 μCi/m3
2. Approximately 3 seconds for signals above 80 μCi/m3
There are two Tritium Level Alarms, the indicator on the LCD is normally green and the message displayed is “Tritium Level OK”
1. Tritium Alert Level Alarm user-settable from 1 – 1,000 μCi/m3. Upon a Tritium Level Alarm the indicator on the LCD will turn yellow and display “High Tritium Level”
2. Tritium High Level Alarm user-settable from 10 – 10,000 μCi/m3. Upon a Tritium High Level Alarm, the indicator on the screen will turn red and display “High Tritium Level”
1. Power Supply Fault: Upon any failure of the low voltage power supplies, the indicator on the LCD will turn red and display “Power Supply Fault LV”
Upon any failure of the high voltage bias supplies, the indicator on the LCD will turn red and display “Power Supply Fault HV”
2. Sample Flow: Upon a low flow condition, the indicator on the LCD will turn red and display “Low Flow”
RJ-45, USB, and relay closures included, 4-20 mA optional
Ionization Chamber Volume
Measuring: 1,600 cm3
Total wetted: 2,000 cm3
Solid Wall on both sides
High efficiency 99.99% at 0.1 microns cartridge type
Long-life, continuous duty linear motor driven diaphragm type Flow Meter 0-10 LPM, adjustable rotameter
Storage: -30° C – +50° C; Operating: 5° C – 50° C
115 VAC, 50/60 Hz, 5A, single phase
53 lbs [24.1 kg]
16.2 in Wide x 20.3 in High x 9.19 in deep [41.2cm x 51.5cm x 23.4cm]
Molded fiberglass with polycarbonate window on a hinged door; NEMA-4X, IP66